Do you have a question? We deal with the most frequently asked questions here.

General questions

When we have found a suitable candidate, we put the house 'in option'. This means that the house is reserved for a candidate. If the candidate indicates after viewing the property that he does not want to rent, we will look at other registrations for this property. So it always makes sense to register! If the candidate wants to rent the property, the property remains 'in option' until the lease is signed.

This varies from home to dwelling. Most homes must be rented for at least one year, for some homes this period is at least two years. Ask the letting agent what the minimum rental period is for the property you are looking for.

No, unfortunately, urgency is not possible with us. All house-seekers registered with us have the same chance of being eligible for the available housing.

It's always annoying to hear that you don't qualify for a property. There may be several reasons for rejection. We would like to explain our way of working to you, so that you may be able to better understand the rejection.

We work for clients who want to have certainty about the fact that a tenant meets the rent neatly and on time. To ensure this, they have drawn up guidelines that we (prospective) tenants carefully test. Our goal is to find a good match between the house and the candidate.

Each client has his own guidelines. The situation therefore varies from house to home. Often the basic guidelines are listed in the advertisement of the offered property.
In general, the guidelines are as follows:

– Gross monthly income should be 3.5/4 times the bare rent of the house
– The income of any partner may be counted for half
– We should not include phase A broadcast contracts in income
– There must be a minimum one-year contract
– Poor payment history may be a reason for rejection
– Unfortunately, we are not allowed to offer housing to persons under administration
– Third-party guarantee is not permitted
– Are you an entrepreneur? Then you have to be able to hand over the last 2 annual figures

We are aware that the above means that we cannot help every person looking for a home. If your personal situation changes, we will always review it and see if we can still do something for you. So do you get a higher salary or another contract? Then adjust this information in your personal customer file and don't hesitate to approach us again!

This is annoying, because we keep a property for a longer period of time for you in option and other candidates will not be able to respond to this property. We have also done a lot of work for you.

If you cancel the rental after (oral) agreement, we are therefore obliged to charge our expenses at (maximum) one month's rent.

Change contract

You can apply for co-tenantship if you are not yet on the lease. As a co-tenant, you have the same rights and obligations as the main tenant. We make the condition that you have a sustainable common household. For example, a lodger or subtenant cannot become a co-tenant.

-You are legally a co-tenant if you are married or have entered into a registered partnership with the tenant, as long as you live in the same property. Your spouse/registered partner must be registered with us.

If you are married or have entered into a registered partnership, we need the following information:

  • The name of the spouse/registered partner
  • Signature of the spouse/registered partner
  • Tenant's signature
  • A copy of the marriage certificate/registration certificate


-Do you live together? Then you can apply for co-tenantship.

For this we apply the following rules:

  • You are registered together at the address with the municipality for at least 2 years
  • You are both able to bear (only) the financial obligations

We need the following information from you:

  • Your partner's name
  • The effective date of the co-tenantship
  • The tenant's signature
  • Partner signature

Upon receipt of the full request, we will notify you whether the application has been approved or rejected.

This administrative change is subject to costs. We are required to charge €90.75 for the change.

First of all, we offer our condolences for your loss.

Legally you are automatically the only tenant when you are married, have a registered partnership or when you are on the lease as a (co)tenant. You can let us know by email or in a letter that your partner has died. Don't forget to sign this letter and add the death certificate.

Watch out! If you are a married partner on the death certificate, but if you are not known to us as a tenant, please include a recent extract Basic Registration Persons (BRP) of yourself.

You are not automatically the only tenant if you are not known to us as a tenant and were not listed as a partner on the death certificate. In this case, applying for tenantship is necessary.

If your tenant application is not approved, the lease will be terminated and we will agree on the end date of the lease.

The request to change the contract will have to come from both tenants.


If you are divorcing and one of them continues to live in the house, you should inform us about this. We will request the details of the person who continues to rent the property in order to be able to determine again whether they can bear the rental costs alone. For this we need:

  • Last 3 payslips
  • Employer's statement
  • A recent extract from the deregistration Basic Registration Persons (BRP) of the co-tenant leaving
  • A copy of the divorce covenant and the registration of the divorce at the registry office

Upon receipt of these documents, we will consider the application and inform you about them.

End living together

If you decide to break up and one of them stays in the house, you should inform us about this.

We will request the details of the person who continues to rent the property in order to be able to determine again whether they can bear the rental costs alone. For this we need:

  • Last 3 payslips
  • Employer's statement
  • A recent extract from the deregistration Basic Registration Persons (BRP) of the co-tenant leaving

Changing the contract entails administration costs. We are required to charge €90.75.


Is something broken in your apartment or in the building where you live? You can report your repair request to us through our maintenance department. This can www.mijnnmgwoning.nl via our website, via e-mail td@nmg.nl or by telephone number 088-200 70 50.

First look in our Maintenance Guide to see if we take care of the repair, or if you have to do this yourself. This maintenance guide has been used to clarify how you should act if you notice a lack in or of your home.

Cancel rent

If you want to cancel the rent of the current rental property, you can do so per the 1st of the month. The notice period is 1 calendar month. Please note that the minimum rental period should have expired. Exactly how long this minimum rental period is is in the lease. This period is usually one year.

Example: Did your contract go into effect on April 1st? Then your termination must be signed with us by March 1. Your last rental day will be March 31.

You can cancel your rent via our website mijnnmgwoning.nl

Acquisition is not possible in principle. The house must be delivered in accordance with the pre-inspection agreements.


There is one exception to this. If a new successor rental is already known at the time of the pre-inspection, you can discuss possible acquisitions with this successor tenant. The condition is that the technical supervisor must approve the acquisitions. If no agreement can be reached with the successor tenant regarding the acquisition of property, all your belonging property must be removed from the property before the end of the rental period.

If there are any questions regarding acquisitions, you can always discuss this with our technical supervisor during the pre-inspection.

If the rent has been cancelled and you know someone who is interested in the property you are about to leave, please let us know. Please include the name, address, phone number and email address of the candidate. It is important that the candidate is registered with us and meets the rental conditions. Our rental department will assess whether the candidate is eligible for the property. We also take into account already registered house-seekers.

Rent increase

The rent is increased annually, usually from 1 July of each year. The amount of the rent increase depends on a number of things including the agreements in the lease and the general rental legislation.

Since 2013, landlords of the so-called regulated tenancy agreements have been allowed to apply the income-dependent rent increase. There is a regulated lease if at the beginning of the rental period the rental price was below the liberalisation limit in force at that time.

The maximum rent increase for self-contained dwellings depends on the household income of the tenant.
Households with incomes from €0 to €43,574: 5.1%
Households with incomes above € 43,574: 6.6%

The household income covers all income (collecting income) of the tenant and the other occupants of the living space. All residents registered at the address at the effective date of the proposed rent increase will be counted. With the rent increase in 2020, household income is based on the 2018 aggregate income. This income has been definitively determined by the Tax Office. The rent increase therefore concerns the total aggregate income for 2018 of all residents registered at the address at the time of application. It is therefore not important whether the current residents also lived at the address in 2018.
For children living in the public who were under the age of 23 on 1 January, income up to the level of the statutory minimum wage does not count.

More information about the income-dependent rent increase can be read on the website of the Government or the Rental Commission.

The tax authorities provide the landlord with an overview of the number of income recipients within your household and the corresponding income category. The income is therefore determined by the tax authorities and it only passes on the category in which household income falls.

All incomes count, including those of residents and room tenants. The income of residents who were under the age of 23 on 1 January 2020 only counts to the extent that it is above the minimum wage. This income is automatically corrected by the Tax Office. The income statement therefore only incorporates that part of the income above the minimum wage.

Since the tax authorities assume definitively established incomes, they assume the income for 2018. At the time of requesting this data (in March/April 2020), the incomes of 2019 have not yet been definitively determined.

You can if you're disabled or chronically ill. But even if household income in 2019 was below € 43,574. Because the tax authorities provide information about the category of income in 2018, you must object in accordance with the appeal procedure.

Certain groups of disabled and chronically ill people may object to the additional income-dependent rent increase of 6.6%. This additional rent increase will take in 1 July 2020. Objecting is possible if you or someone in your household:


-A care indication has a validity of at least one year for at least 10 hours of care per week

-A care indication has for stay in a nursing home or care home;

-Has an ADL indication (help with general daily operations, such as eating, washing or toilets);

-An order has under the Social Support Act (Wmo) or Disability Services Act (the forerunner of the Wmo). This Decision should be provided by 1 May 2020. You must also be able to demonstrate that the property is adapted to the disability of the person with the disposal.

By objecting, you may be able to limit the rent increase to a maximum of 5.1%.

Yes. If you currently receive a rental allowance, this will remain the case in the new situation. With your right to rent surcharge, the actual rent increase is compensated for the most part. On the website of the Tax Office you can read when you receive a rental fee.

If your income is between €0 and €43,574 then you fall into the lowest income bracket and you have received a maximum rent increase of 5.1%. You can't object to this on the basis of your income as you are already in the lowest category.

The income-dependent rent increase can be objected to, provided that it is more than 5.1%. Whether your reason for objection is justified can be found on the notice of objection. Your objection can be sent to huurverhoging@nmg.nl.

For more information, please visit the rental commission's website.

An IBRI statement is a statement from the IRS which they can provide to you. This statement lists your income for the year requested. You can request this statement from the IRS.

No, we will collect the new amount from the rent increase date. So you don't have to do anything yourself.

yes, you're going to have to take care of that yourself at your bank.

That can have several reasons. One reason may be that the rent has been adjusted after a move.
It may also be that you or your neighbor have had improvements made that were opposed by a rent increase.
In addition, the difference may have arisen because your neighbour lives there longer or shorter than you and has started renting on other rental terms.
Also, the income-dependent rent increase may be different for you than for your neighbour.

As the market is subject to changes, the properties for rent may be offered at a higher or lower rental price than your property.

This can depend on the market and supply and demand in your region.

It may also be that the vacant houses with a different level of finish are offered or that it concerns a different type of dwelling.

If there is a liberalised lease, the income-dependent rent increase will not be applied in this case. In this case, the rent will be increased to the maximum percentage laid down in the lease. For the amount of this percentage you can consult the rental agreement.

If you do not agree with the rent increase and you have a liberalized lease, you can object in writing. Telephone objections will not be considered.

However, if the landlord does not honour your objection, you can only present this objection to the court.

In these cases, it is not possible to ask the Rental Commission for a ruling.


If you would like to object, you can send a letter or e-mail to:


NMG Real Estate B.V.

Objection rent increase

Mailbox 188

6500 AD Nijmegen